Included in the Pharmacy Board of Australia’s list of essential references for pharmacy practice, SHPA’s Don’t Rush to Crush is Australia’s essential guide to safely administering oral medicines to people with enteral feeding tubes or swallowing difficulties. When giving tablets, capsules or oral liquids to these patients, healthcare professionals need answers to these questions:
- Can I crush it?
- Can I disperse it?
- Can I open the capsule?
- Is there a liquid formulation?
- Is the liquid formulation suitable and safe for the person?
- Can I give the injection orally?
The answers are available in Don’t Rush to Crush.
With every monograph comprehensively reviewed, the new 4th edition includes more than 580 oral medicines with 40 new medicines, as well as:
- New information about the thickness of oral liquid medicines and their suitability for people with swallowing difficulties – more than 100 oral liquid medicines have been assessed against the International Dyshagia Diet Standardisation Initiative (IDDSI) framework
- A new section about gastrointestinal dysfunction that provides guidance for giving medicines to people who have undergone gastrointestinal surgery, or who have altered gastrointestinal function.